Saturday 8 January 2011

Armstongs: Vintage Clothing Emporium


Armstrongs is an Edinburgh Institution: Armstrongs Vintage Clothing Emporium. This is the Newington Branch, the smaller of the two I visit. Haven't been there for a while - they were getting a bit expensive, and I got fed up with them. But after being worn down by chain store high street homogeneous clothing, I have returned.


I wasn't looking for anything in particular, and in my forties, I'm aware of not looking too studenty, so don't buy nearly as much here as I used to. Well worth a visit if you are in Edinburgh. Their Grassmarket shop is much bigger than this one. Be warned though - it truly is second hand/vintage, and you have to be careful about what you buy.

Here hanging on the railings outside the shop is my bag containing 2 crochet blankets and a little blue spotty 1960's shift dress. Crochet blankets: £12 and £8. You know that IKEA sale advert where the woman in the car goes "WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW" - that's what I was doing in the shop when I saw them (except mercifully with my sound turned off!). Little blue dress £16. It does have a little stain on the shoulder but I thought I'd risk it - it will probably wash out, and if not, I'll make more bunting.

I've never actually bought a crochet blanket before, but when I saw them, I just couldn't resist. I've seen similar "vintage" blankets for sale in Cath Kidston for 40-60+ pounds before, and wanted to buy them but coudn't bring myself to pay that much.

So, to whoever crocheted them, don't worry, your blankets have gone to a very good home. Once they are washed, I'll post some pictures of them in all their clashing colourfulness.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh , what great finds .Can't wait to see them properly :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete