Tuesday 3 January 2012

Granny Permutations

One of the things I like about crochet is the choice of colours. With this blanket I used 17 colours. So for each little flower using 3 choices of colour, the number of permutations is (if I remember my maths correctly) : 17*16*15 = 4080 choices. The problem is that some of these are not pretty, so for example, dark purple, dark blue, mid blue is very dark, and then all 3 palest pinks is too pale. The challenge comes in choosing "nice" choices. Sometimes, I like to make them a bit edgy and clashing, like the blue-orange-blue in the bottom middle of the blue picture. Other times I try for "nice" with for example the blue-pale lilac - lilac in the bottom right of the blue picture.
Another interesting thing is that some people don't like some combinations that I like. I think that adds to the interest of making the choices.

Happy crocheting!

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking of permutations and combinations the other day when making granny squares. And, yes, your maths is right!
    I really like the blue-orange-blue colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. Permutations? Oh gosh, I think I will completely randomize the colours choices for my next blanket! Gorgeous work so far on the '200' blanket! love the vibrat colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where would one actually find the actual pattern?

    ReplyDelete